Friday, July 18, 2008

"Mablo"

These are my first two homework assignments in Heads & Hands. They are drawings of two relatively unknown but up-and-coming models. To protect their identities I'll refer to them as Marcia and Pablo.

I actually don't like the drawing of Marcia. Even though it's a decent likeness, the drawing quality itself is not very good because I had a lot of trouble working on that type of paper (Strathmore Drawing). Whenever I would try to blend the vine charcoal, it would all rub off. Pablo's drawing is charcoal pencil on Strathmore storm gray paper, which for me is easier to work with.

3 comments:

PQ said...

Haha. I love the title "Mablo". I think the drawings bear great resemblance to the models - a handsome couple!

Anonymous said...

Hmm.. I like Marcia better. Pablo looks older than he looks in real life. The left side of Marcia's face (as I look at the sketch) is quite dark - was that intentional?

Ryan F said...

I think the new kid is aging Pablo. :) Actually I think you are right that the lines under his eyes are too dark. Similarly, although the left side of Marcia's face is that dark in the photo, I have since learned that we are supposed to treat color variations in the face more subtley than in the photo. Good call. :)