Wednesday, May 21, 2008

HW #4 - The Masha Objects

For our final homework in still-life painting, we had to find a still-life by some master artist, then try to copy the composition, lighting, and painting style. I chose my favorite still-life artist, the 18th century French painter Chardin. This is the painting I chose:

Chardin's still-lifes aren't as complex or photorealistic as, say, the Dutch masters. But his paintings have a wonderful feeling of light and space. I was actually trying to get this effect in my HW #2, with unsuccessful results.

This fourth assignment is composed of objects found entirely at Marta and Pasha's house. :) I had run out of interesting objects in my apartment, and they have an abundance of cool stuff. For some reason I wasn't that motivated to do this painting (probably end-of-the-semester burnout), but it turned out extremely well. This one finally looks like a "real" painting. My reflective teapot painting is nice, but I always thought it was kind of flat. This last one starts to have that quality of light and space that I've been looking for throughout the semester.

2 comments:

Jiin said...

Woo ~~
this is the best work of yours.
I love it. It has great composition, overall it's a little bit dark, but in a good sense. Good balance of light/darkness within, and great color expression on fruits. Also perfect shape on your glasses.

Anonymous said...

Your table is waay better than Chardin's :)