Monday, July 17, 2006

Team America

"Pearl Harbor sucked, and I miss you." I normally don't watch movies like this. (Really. No REALLY!!!). But I saw a guy watching it on his laptop on Caltrain, and it seemed pretty funny (or at least he was deriving a lot of entertainment out of it), so I rented it through Netflix. And I feel very guilty about this, but I have to say that I liked it. :)

Team America, directed by South Park's Trey Parker, is your typical action movie about a team of U.S. special agents sent to foil a worldwide terrorist attack. Well, except that everyone in the movie is a marionette. And it's funny because the movie doesn't try overly hard to disguise the fact that they are marionettes. Like the scene where one of the female agents reaches out to touch one of the male agents, but she can't because her arm won't unbend all the way. Or the horribly choreographed fight scenes and sex scene that are hilarious because they look so ridiculous.

Because it's by the South Park, you know the movie will be irreverant. It's very tongue-in-cheek, but a little like Naked Gun in that the most outrageous ideas (the main hero is an actor, for crying out loud) and also some more subtley bizarre stuff (like the song lyrics at the beginning of this blog) are all presented with total seriousness. My suggestion - rent it once and watch it, and never tell anyone you did it. Note: no historical landmarks were harmed during the making of this film.

No comments: