Sunday, December 21, 2008

Copy of Homer's "Sailing the Catboat"

For my final project in Watercolor Painting I did a copy of Winslow Homer's "Sailing the Catboat".  I really like how this one turned out, primarily because I love Homer's paintings so much.  He is, in my opinion, the greatest watercolorist ever, and one of my favorite artists.  Also I find that many people in the class paint in a tight, illustrative fashion, and I was trying to do the same and was getting a little frustrated.  But I realized that I prefer to paint watercolors in loose fashion like this, allowing the colors to run and intermix freely, creating a variety of spontaneous effects.  It's strange because my oil paintings tend to be very tight, but I think I will stick with this loose style for my watercolors.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic. I love the angle of the sail boat, the colors you use. Watercolors are your style.

Ryan F said...

Remember this is a copy, so I can't really take credit for the design or the colors! Still if at the beginning of the class I thought I'd be able to make a decent copy of a Winslow Homer, I'd have been ecstatic. I think that my main medium will still be oils, but I will keep doing watercolors.