Thursday, August 7, 2008

Waterhouse Has Nothing to Worry About

This is our final 3-session painting in Intro to Figure Painting. On the left is the artist-in-training. This was a challenging painting on several levels. The 18"x24" canvas was the biggest I've ever used. My prof told me that in the art world it still is classified as a "miniature", but it felt gigantic to me! The two figure composition is challenging because you have to get the relative sizes and positions correct. Finally, we had to design an environment for the figures. I got the background from a painting by one of my favorite artists, the British painter J.W. Waterhouse. Since I added the background after the fact, it looks a little contrived, and the perspective is way off. Still, it was fun doing it and my professor liked it. Like most of my paintings this semester, though, this one will probably get painted over at some point. :)

No comments: