Sunday, June 4, 2006

Clueless

Like I would really say anything negative about a movie starring Alicia Silverstone as a hottie LA school girl? AS IF!!!!! Director Amy Heckerling seems to specialize in moderately successfull teen-targeted comedies like Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Look Who's Talking, and A Night at the Roxbury (producer). But I actually really liked this movie. It's a loose adaptation of the novel Emma, and I love it when they attempt stuff like that. The movie stays reasonably true to the plotlines of Emma, while modernizing the setting (and in the process totally skewering spoiled Beverly Hills teenagers). Well done! I thought it was interesting that the individual plot elements are shot very short. In fact the whole story feels contracted, but I guess this is in line with its MTV-watching demographic. Alicia Silverstone is very good in this movie. She is actually quite expressive - I'm surprised she has not gotten any real substantial roles. And no, Batgirl doesn't count. Do they really think the limit of her ability is acting alongside Brendan Frasier in the mostly forgettable Blast From the Past? What-ever!

No comments: